Travelling to Mozambique? Procedure at border crossing
- No firearms will be allowed to cross the border, without the required permits.
- No animals (pets) will be allowed to cross the border, without the required permits.
- Third Party Insurance is compulsory for all non-Mozambican registered vehicles entering the country. These can normally be procured on the border, from official representatives of the different insurance companies.
- All vehicles are required to be equipped with two red Warning Triangles, two Reflective Jackets and one fire-extinguisher.
Health requirements: Precautions – Malaria risk.
ON THE SOUTH AFRICAN SIDE
- On entering the border post you will receive a gate pass.
- Inside the Customs/Immigration building you need to complete the paper work.
- All goods must be declared, especially valuables such cameras and computers.
- Keep the stamped Customs declaration form in a safe place – you will need to show it to the Customs officials on re-entering South Africa.
- Custom officials will also stamp your gate pass.
- Proceed to complete Immigration procedures.
- Immigration officials will also stamp your gate pass.
- Return to your vehicle and drive through to the Mozambican side.
Before leaving the South African side you must give the gate pass to the guard on duty.
ON THE MOZAMBICAN SIDE:
- On entering the border a guard will hand you a gate pass.
- “Runners” are not government officials. No official fees are payable on either side of the border for the completion of documents. It is advised not to use them.
- Proceed to Immigration (Migraçao) – each individual must have passport stamped.
- Ensure that the gate pass is also stamped.
- Driver to obtain a vehicle form – complete request for Temporary Import permission regarding vehicle, boat trailer and electronic equipment – issued by Customs officials (Alfândega) and generally valid for a period of 30 days.
- Proceed to the duty counter declare goods and pay relevant duties. Keep documentation for the duration of your journey as proof of payment.
- Alfândega officials are at liberty to search your vehicle.
- If you should be found to be in possession of any undeclared items these will be confiscated.
Hand in the gate pass and enter Mozambique.