KLCBT opposes Eskom’s application for a 19,9% rate increase at hearingAuthor: KLCBT | Published by KLCBT on 16 November 2017 at 11:29:11 | Last Updated On: 16 November 2017
During an official hearing conducted by NERSA, KLCBT and 11 other entities presented evidence under oath, to substantiate our objection to the 19,9% increase in Eskom’s allowable revenue in 2018.
After sketching the background of the increasing poverty rate of our region, KLCBT presented six points to object to the 19,9% increase. These were:
- Incorrect calculation of the increase percentage;
- Over supply of electricity should not be the burden of the consumer;
- Effects of corruption in Eskom cannot be ignored;
- Government intervention is required as Eskom is critical to the SA economy;
- A price hike is in contradiction with Eskom’s core strategies;
- Electricity is a high cost component of business.
The NERSA panel was very impressed with the arguments and requested additional explanations about the calculations in particular.
Download full presentation: Presentation to NERSA 10 Nov 17
Eskom’s media statement after hearings: Media Statement – Eskom to take bold steps to shift the companys reputation towards a positive change – 16 November 2017